Dahari means “sustainable” in Comorian. The slogan of the NGO “Komori ya Leo na Meso” means “the Comoros of today and tomorrow”.
Dahari is a Comorian NGO founded in February 2013 as a key outcome of the ECDD project (www.ecddcomoros.org). Dahari benefits from the expertise, qualified team and key partners of this project, which ran in the Comoros between 2008 and 2013. From its very creation, Dahari has therefore been able to draw on five years’ worth of experience in its areas of intervention.
A dynamic and united Comorian society in control of its future and living in harmony with its environment.
Shaping sustainable and productive landscapes with Comorian communities.
Our core areas of intervention:
– rural development
–terrestrial natural resources management
– biodiversity conservation
In a few words:
* We support farmers to develop their agricultural activities by proposing improved environmentally-friendly techniques and seed varieties, with the objective of increasing their income sustainably.
* We empower rural communities to take decisions with regard to the sustainable use and management of their land through protecting essential natural resources: water, soil and forests.
* We promote effective biodiversity conservation in the Comoros by proposing participatory conservation activities based on social and ecological research.
* We organise ecotourism tours to showcase the culture and biodiversity of the Comoros in order to generate revenue for communities, our local partner associations, the NGO, and tourist operators.
We provide work of high quality and a strong commitment to meeting the needs of communities and biodiversity.
We value transparency and honesty between the Dahari team and the communities and technical and financial partners with whom we work, in order to build relationships of trust.
We empower local communities and conduct all our work in close collaboration with them.
We seek to identify innovative approaches and techniques with proven effectiveness elsewhere, and we adapt them to the context of the Comoros.
Spirit of learning
We constantly review our working methods in order to progress in an ever-changing environment.